The Thomas H. Bowlus Fine Arts and Cultural Center (BFACC), a successful, state-of-the-art facility located in southeast Kansas, is seeking to hire an EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR. The BFACC was founded in 1965 and is the oldest fine arts center in the state of Kansas. It has a strong history of serving the community at large with excellent programming and traditional fine arts training.
The Executive Director ensures an organizational culture characterized by commitment to the BFACC mission, creative risk taking, professionalism, quality customer/visitor service, and fiscal responsibility and discipline.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES of the Executive Director include, but are not limited to:
ARTISTIC AND PROGRAM LEADERSHIP:
· Develop and implement strategic artistic vision, programming and planning
· While honoring and maintaining the outstanding reputation of BFACC’s programming, continue to expand the scope and reach of the BFACC’s programming and role in the community through new ideas in a financially stable and sustainable way
· Annually attend conferences to acquire quality cultural and educational programming that would be desirable and appropriate for patrons of varying ages
· Ensure the opportunity for integration of all programming across all aspects of the fine arts
· Lead and coordinate the fine arts and educational programming with applicable committees
FUNDRAISING AND EXTERNAL RELATIONS:
· Build and maintain a high degree of community visibility, serving as chief spokesperson for the BFACC
· Strengthen existing community partnerships and donor relationships while cultivating new partnerships
· Oversee all fundraising and membership activities which includes identifying, cultivating and soliciting memberships and gifts from individuals, corporations, foundations, the public sector, and other sources
· Locate, complete and submit grant applications for funds to provide supplementary support for BFACC improvements and programming
PLANNING AND ADMINISTRATIVE MANAGEMENT:
· Report directly to the Trustee (Board of Education for Unified School District 257) and work directly with the Bowlus Commission, which is an advisory board to the Trustee
· Provide engaged entrepreneurial leadership
· Effective administration and management of all facets of the BFACC organization including: management of all day-to-day administrative, human resources, and financial operations
· Oversee facilities management
· Work closely with the investment management firm to oversee all financial investments
· Lead the BFACC’s Commission, staff and stakeholders to carry out the mission
· Prepare, monitor, adhere to and report on an annual budget of approximately $700,000
IDEAL CANDIDATE: The ideal candidate would demonstrate vision, leadership, a deep-rooted passion for the fine arts and have a background in business practices; combining strategic thinking with innovation and creativity. Experiences and education would show a demonstrated ability to further a broad engagement between the arts and the communities the BFACC serves while successfully managing administrative responsibilities. The candidate should also have a desire to embrace and enjoy living in a friendly, mid-western, community-focused environment as longevity is very important for the position.
· Bachelor’s degree or higher in non-profit management, arts management, business, or a related field. Comparable work experience will be considered.
· Knowledge of and experience in effective management principles, personnel management, theater management, box office management, arts programming, fundraising, basic accounting principles, backstage management and marketing.
· Excellent communication skills – specifically written, oral and presentation
· Willing to work a variety of hours including evenings and weekends
· Effectively negotiate contracts to ensure contractual and regulatory compliance and fulfillment of performance objectives
· Ability to prepare and administer budgets
· Confidence in interacting with and developing effective working relationships with staff and public
· A career path that demonstrates success in creative artistic visioning while building and leading a stable organization
· Adept in technology (i.e. Microsoft Office and QuickBooks)
Grant writing experience
Successful experience in board and volunteer relations
Experience with the recruitment of potential theatrical and musical companies/performers, as well as visual artists for gallery displays
COMPENSATION: The salary range for this full-time position is $55,000 to $75,000 per year based on qualifications and experience. Other benefits include:
· Health Insurance
· Optional Dental and Vision Insurance
· Annual Vacation, Holiday Pay, Personal Days and Sick Leave
· Cell Phone Allowance
· Life Insurance
· Retirement Savings Plan
TO APPLY: Please submit the following to the Bowlus Commission, Attn: Lori Finch at email@example.com (Incomplete applications will not be considered)
· One-page Cover Letter (include best time of day to contact you)
· Resume with detailed description of applicable education and experience
**NOTE: Prior to hiring, applicant’s information and college degree will be verified. Applicant will also undergo a background check and credit check for bonding purposes. By applying you give permission for this to take place.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 6 AUGUST 2018 (OPEN UNTIL FILLED)
Bowlus Fine Arts and Cultural Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer