Bowlus Fine Arts Center Current Job Openings
“The Bowlus Fine Arts and Cultural Center enhances the life of the regional community by nurturing a love of the arts; generating cultural and economic vitality; and providing spaces to experience and create educational, entertaining, and innovative live performances.”
ASSISTANT TECHNICAL DIRECTOR
One Year-Renewable Contract FY July 1 – June 30
Under the supervision of the Technical Director, the Assistant Technical Director assists in the hiring, training, scheduling, and supervision of crews; and advance coordination for events. Also assists in the installation of events into the Bowlus, including, but not limited to: scenic, lighting, audio, electrical, facility maintenance, organizational and physical improvements as needed for the Bowlus and outside events.
Examples of Essential Functions
- Schedule load ins, technical rehearsals, and strikes.
- Plan and prepare rigging needs.
- Assemble and construct new and existing scenic elements.
- Assist incoming user groups with all theatrical application and sound effects.
- Fabricate simple audio design for users who have no audio designer.
- Assist incoming groups with theatrical lighting – including hanging, plugging, and focusing of lighting instruments.
- Fabricate simple lighting design for users who have no lighting designer.
- Maintain equipment owned by the Bowlus, including lighting, audio, and video.
- Supervise the facility during rentals.
- Perform other tasks as assigned.
Any combination of training and experience which demonstrates possession of the knowledge and abilities stated above, and the ability to perform the duties of the position, is qualifying.
The ideal candidate should have completed college-level coursework towards, or possess a bachelor’s degree in Theatrical Production or a related field and possess two (2) years of applicable theater management and/or technical experience. Supervisory experience in a theatre production environment, including the ability to motivate groups in complex tasks and supervising student and adult volunteers in technical theatre tasks is preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Must be able to demonstrate knowledge and skills in the use of stage lighting and audio design and equipment; stage management; stage rigging and scenic construction techniques and hardware. Must also have excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND OTHER WORKING CONDITIONS
Daily lift, push, pull and carry objects weighing up to 60 pounds. Must be able to do work requiring physical strength, dexterity and endurance. Requires the mobility to stand, stoop, reach, and bend.
Candidates must be able to work in potentially adverse conditions which may include heights at 25' or more, loud noise, large crowds, darkness and confined spaces.
Must be able to work a flexible schedule including weekends, evenings, and holidays, dependent on program needs. Persons hired must wear the standard required apparel as prescribed by the Bowlus Fine Arts Center.
Must have a Class C driver’s license with a satisfactory driving record.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary range: $37,500 – 43,500 Final determination commensurate with experience
- Single Paid Health Insurance and Life Insurance paid by Bowlus. Optional Dental, Vision, Spouse and Dependent Coverage, Flexible Spending Account, 403(B) Investment Opportunities are offered at Employee expense (tax sheltered)
- 10 Annual Vacation days, Holiday Pay, 2 Personal Days and 12 Sick Leave days
- Retirement Savings Plan through the Kansas Public Retirement System (KPERS)
- A packet will be provided the Director of all documents required. A background check will be required as well as a drug test post offer. In order to complete these, a copy of valid driver’s license and social security card are required.
All properly completed applications will be reviewed, and the most qualified candidates will be invited to continue in the selection process.
A complete emailed application includes:
- Cover letter addressing how you meet the required and preferred qualifications.
- Contact information for three professional references (including at least one previous or current supervisor). References contacted only if the candidate is a finalist.
Email application materials to:
Daniel Kays, Executive Director
APPLICATION DEADLINE: August 4, 2023 (OPEN UNTIL FILLED)
Bowlus Fine Arts and Cultural Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer